Monday, July 14, 2014

God help me, I think I'm addicted

Since my last post, I've finished two races--a 5k and a 10k. While the first was basically my short training run for the week (with more hills! ack!), the second was the length of my long run the week before so still a little bit of a challenge for me. Plus, it was at night so it was a little warm when we started and there were a couple big inclines as we crossed the highway twice.

It was really a cool experience to line up with 600 other people (just in my wave!) and all hit the trail together. There was everything from people just out for fun to serious runners who wanted to win and everything in between. I loved being a part of that.

Being a competitive person, it was  hard to watch people pass me left and right. Of course, I know I'm only so fit and so fast, so I had to keep reminding myself I wasn't there to race, I was there to finish and meet my goal of not having to skip any run intervals. But I couldn't help feeling satisfied when I passed others...what can I say, I'm human. I did meet my goal in both races, and as  bonus I finished both in just under a 14:00 pace and still had some left in me. Of course I want to be faster, but that will come with time and training.

After I finished the 10K, I got really emotional. I realized that two months ago I wouldn't think I could run that far that fast. It was really awesome to be able to accomplish that! It made me feel like I can do anything. I'm actually looking forward to doing seven miles this weekend, because I know I can do it. That is just crazy.

Today it's swimming, and tomorrow I up my short distance to four miles and up my intervals to 3:00 run, 1:30 walk. Eep! But I know I can do it.

Total miles for the summer: 59

No comments:

Post a Comment